The Hedonistic Imperative

While some people (like masochists) take the shortcut to go from pain to pleasure (opposites collide) others, like this guys here wanna go the other way around:

http://www.hedweb.com/hedab.htm

If you got good english skills and are voted to pleasure, check this one out, it`s quite interesting!

Hugs pals,

cb

very interesting, this north American approach of the matter.

For a French psychatric approach,
French psychatry school different of
DSM 4 (American Diagnostic Statistics Manual)

you could read this drug dictionnary, hopefully soon translated in
other languages

Denis RICHARD pharmacologist
Jean-Louis SENON University psychatrist
Marc VALLEUR addiction psychatrist

Dictionnaire des drogues et des dépendances
édition Larousse 2004 630 pages

25 € cheaper than a McDonald's hamburger laugh.gif

another track of the French cultural exception jester.gif

an intellectual provocation
worth a debate
whether pain is avoidable and deletable or necessary in the human evolution and selection i don't know
we can hide, suppress the causes for pain, but not eradicate pain
if my hand is near a flame i get burned
i can retract the hand and that eliminates or soothes the pain
i can't always annichilate all the real and metaphorical flames burning near my life, burning my life

Hehehe, poor old Muzio Scevola....In modern times he would`nt have needed to to that, they would have killed him before! See how things change...
In a not so near future we humans could not need pain anymore.

Evolution works with the stick and carrot principle...the hedonistic purpouse is not only eliminate the stick but to get a big carrot as well!!
Too presumtuous to try to step in God`s (evolution) shoes?
Maybe...or probably.

hugs, pals,

cb Edited by curiousboy

Happy to know that Roma isn't burning anymore IPB Image neither Gninori. wink.gif biggrin.gif

And thanks to Wikipedo I learnt a lot about Caius Mucius Scaevola IPB Image BBQ. laugh.gif

For my part I must confess that, like Mucius, I'm left handed too and have presently shingles on my back but it's okay as far I can peel my banana to heal the pain muhahaha. jester.gif

CuriousBuddy, I'm not sure I could live without some pain, at least I tried to live a constant level of pleasure (sex, drugs & various mind games like most of us I suppose wink.gif) but it hadn't work for me. Always need changes in my life, good and bad things, and to go down to climb again. wink.gif My 2 cent(urions). jester.gif But good thread, I love Science-fiction too! biggrin.gif (^ ^) crazy.gif

for long i wanted to reply to this thread because the idea of eliminating both physical and mental pain is interesting. as g said: worth a debate wink.gif

i haven´t read the whole manifesto, just the intro. from what i understood the main idea is to eradicate pain because it´s no longer necessary and because life would be better without pain.

let me start with a quote from jim morrison:

“People are afraid of themselves, of their own reality; their feelings most of all. People talk about how great love is, but that's bullshit. Love hurts. Feelings are disturbing. People are taught that pain is evil and dangerous. How can they deal with love if they're afraid to feel? Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. That's what matters. Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain.”

yin and yang, isn´t it?

IPB Image
joy and pain

but what´s pain good for?

physical pain as a sign of warning (you feel pain when you hold your hand into a flame and due to the pain you retract your hand and thus avoid to get burned seriously) is inevitable imho. without this instinctive sense no being could survive unless you eradicate ALL physical dangers from this earth. even pain from let´s say headaches (unless they come from too much wine wink.gif ) are necessary because physical pain not induced by a external physical influence can often be a sign for a disease not yet discovered. i agree that pain medicine is a historical invention because no one wants to get a tooth extracted without it. here the pain is totally unnecessary.

IPB Image
pure pain

what about mental pain?

let us hear a wise writer, william faulkner.

“Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain”

this reminds me of a conversation i had with my father when i was like 16. at that time i asked my self very often why god (if he existed, which i doubted at that time) allows pain and bad things and people killing people in the world. i had a long discussion with my father and at one point he said: "try to see this as a gift god gave to us. he gave us the gift to choose between good and bad. if he would have created us without the ability to do bad things but only to act good what else than soulless robots we would be?"

another point is that mental pain is, at least in my experience, inevitable for one´s mental development. without some girls breaking my heart i would never be able to feel the joy my wife now gives to me wub.gif painful moments and bad experiences are points in your life when you stop and start to think things over. this also is true for joyful experiences and lucky moments in some degree, but the resulting development i got from bad days was much bigger than that of good days. nowadays, happily married with 3 wonderful kids i can also evolve due to joy in life. but i certainly needed the bad moments to get there.

and maybe pain is also inevitable for the whole world? albert einstein:

“If men as individuals surrender to the call of their elementary instincts, avoiding pain and seeking satisfaction only for their own selves, the result for them all taken together must be a state of insecurity, of fear, and of promiscuous misery.”

as we have some drug friendly friends pimp.gif friends.gif in this thread: what drug experiences REALLY changed you? was it the joyful dancing induced by exctasy? or the relaxation after a fat joint? the crazy powers after a line of coke? or was it the frightening experience to be confronted with yourself after a good dose of magic mushrooms or lsd?

IPB Image
can you pass the acid test?

anyway, i wanna end with a quote from buddha which summarizes very good what i said in another thread (tang may know which one wink.gif ):

“All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.”

peace and out pimp.gif

gershi Edited by gershi

Also spracht Gershithoustra. notworthy.gif

Ditto meine freunde ! IPB Image Prosit, let's have a drink at the Buddha bar !

And yes Acid and peyotl buttons changed my mind much more than weed, hash, poppers, coke, opium, booze or cornflakes. jester.gif In a good way I presume 'cos I'm here. (^ ^) crazy.gif Edited by Tangerine

Just a thought: Pain is necessary for surviving (hand-flame) but so is fear...very most of us would be afraid to jump off a high bridge but thecnology invented bungee jumping and now few people dare and get kinda extasy (adrenalin kick) out of it...surviving.

meditate, folks, meditate...

hihihi,

cb

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.