file names ending in .001, .002 etc - unopenable on my pc

sunbelly

I've got Windows Vista; I use VLC etc without problems, but when I download files (they could be .wmv or .avi files or others) ending in .001, .002, .003, my computer calls them 001 auto file, 002 auto file, etc and only the first (001) will open and play with VLC. The second one, 002, will not display, and after that there is not even the VLC icon on the files. The VLC icon on 001 auto file is not just the icon alone but it appears on a background representing white paper.
If a file is single, just .wmv or .avi, no problem at all. As soon as there is more than one, with the numbers, I have this problem. I don't know why my computer shows them as "001 auto file" etc, or what to do about it.
I'd appreciate any help if anyone knows what is going on. Thanks.

QUOTE($up€rC@zzoLo @ Jul 9 2008, 02:47 PM) [snapback]100902[/snapback]

join with HJSplit.

Download HJSplit

Thanks a lot. I downloaded it from your link, and then on my machine it was marked as having 0 bytes ; I opened it and got a message saying, "HJSplit2.3.exe is not a valid Win 32 application". So it seems it was not allowed, rejected by Vista. I would appreciate your ideas, thanks.

QUOTE($up€rC@zzoLo @ Jul 10 2008, 12:40 AM) [snapback]101014[/snapback]

try 1x more

I did and it worked the second time. I never thought this was the solution, it seems that HJSplit is the only program which opens these numbered files. Thanks again.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.