Gigabyte movies

P.A.Frenum

does anybody know why movie files get bigger and bigger  all the time? :wacko:  couple of years back you could Download a decent  15 min Clip with, say, 300 MB. Now an average movie is  1.5  GB or more. Even Homemade movles - Argendana et al. - are that big.  Why? :wacko: 

Simple reason, the quality of what we record has been increasing over the years at a rapid pace. As we had webcam shows with barely visible people we now have Full HD 1080P or even 4K quality recordings of people streaming and movie producers producing new recordings.

Download a high quality movie from nowadays and compare it to the quality we had on VHS back then. You will see the massive increase in sharpness/details. Shamefully that quality increase also means it costs alot more data to store this information.

Nowadays most people have high speed internet and larger harddrives to store their files so it kind of grew at the same pace. Only some internet connections arent up to speed for it nowadays.

Your old harddrive had a 300mb movie on a drive size of lets say 20.000mb (20GB). Now we have movies of 1500mb on harddrives of 2.000.000mb (2TB) drives :-).

Hope this explains it for you.

Edited by user_undefined

Thanks, you got me There..... :rolleyes:   i  actually startet my collection  by copying rented VHS es  to save the hottest scenes :wub:  feels like in another century.....   but wait.... it WAS!  :holiday:

1 hour ago, P.A.Frenum said:

Thanks, you got me There..... :rolleyes:   i  actually startet my collection  by copying rented VHS es  to save the hottest scenes :wub:  feels like in another century.....   but wait.... it WAS!  :holiday:

:P

user_undefined is correct higher quality videos mean larger file sizes. However a lot of file sizes are massively inflated due to people re-encoding the original file. They do this to advertisement their site in the video and increase file size for dl sites which makes it much harder or impossible for free users to download the files. Basically a ploy to try and make more money. I find it very annoying not because its harder to download (most stuff gets shared regardless) but because by re-encoding the file they are destroying the originals quality. It's not uncommon to see something like a 350MB 720p/60fps file re-encoded to 1.5-2.0GB at 1080p/24fps and look far worse.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.