THE LAST BOOK TOPIC

ANNE23

Write here the title of last book u read and in 2 words what it speaks about.

I start first: "The Tyrant" of V.M. Manfredi
It's the story of the life and death of Dionysius of Syracuse, Tyrant of Sicily.....I love the books of this italian writer Valerio Massimo Manfredi! notworthy.gif Edited by ANNE23

QUOTE(ANNE23 @ Jul 11 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]37220[/snapback]

Write here the title of last book u wrote and in 2 words what it speaks about.
It's the story of the life and death of Dionysius of Syracuse, Tyrant of Sicily.....I love the books of this italian writer Valerio Massimo Manfredi! notworthy.gif

Hmm sounds gr8, Anne.
Mine is "La rage de vivre" silly french translation for "Really the blues" an autobiography of jazzman and pothead (and opium addict) Mezz Mezzrow (co-written with Bernard Wolfe), a jewish jazz musician in the 30' who was the first to create multiracial jazz bands. A great man !
Henry Miller wrote about it: "I shoud want that millions of men read this book and receive its message."

Really the Blues, read at the counter of the Columbia U Bookstore in the mid-Forties, was for me the first signal into white culture of the underground black, hip culture that pre-existed before my own generation.'
Allen Ginsberg

'Really the Blues is the finest eyewitness account of American counterculture ever published.'
Albert Goldman

'Really the Blues appeared at a fundamental moment in American history, when young whites like Jack Kerouac and Neal Cassady encountered the African-American sub-culture. You can't understand the American bohemian tradition without it.'
Dennis McNally, author of Desolate Angel

IPB Image Big up Mezz !

http://www.canongate.net/ReallyTheBlues/Paperback

I first meet that book in jail 25 years ago, my best memory then muhahaha (^ ^) crazy.gif

Last book i read was Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere"

It's loosely based on a British TV series of the 80's with the same name, were the hero discovers that there is another London beneath London, expertly called "London Below".
The inhabitants of London Below live in a different reallity, and are not actually seen by the London Above's people. It's dark, it's got fallen angels, ageless villains and dark secrets.

An interesting book, but not close as good as his "American Gods" novel, which as you can presume was written far later wink.gif

QUOTE(ANNE23 @ Jul 11 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]37220[/snapback]

Write here the title of last book u wrote and in 2 words what it speaks about.
It's the story of the life and death of Dionysius of Syracuse, Tyrant of Sicily.....I love the books of this italian writer Valerio Massimo Manfredi! notworthy.gif

sorry but, in all my life, i wrote no books. shame on you, if you did tongue.gif

as to manfredi i suggest to you to read Ἀλέξανδρος, his biography about one of the greatest men of all time: alexander the great
but maybe you already did, since it has something to do with your country laugh.gif
much, much, much better than the oliver stones' movie

the last serious pretentious book i read is "american pastoral", by philip roth: a cerebral masturbation in the first fourth of the book, but then it slowly takes off

the last not so serious is the third episode in the trilogy in five books by douglas adams: the Hitchhiker series Edited by gninori

QUOTE(gninori @ Jul 11 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]37282[/snapback]

the last not so serious is the third episode in the trilogy in five books by douglas adams: the Hitchhiker series

whoever brought you to this laugh.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

my last book was a re-re-re-read of stanislaw lem "The Futurological Congress". what is it about?....... crazy.gif

something with terrorists, a regime, a congress......weird content - but i love lem notworthy.gif

QUOTE(gninori @ Jul 11 2007, 09:02 PM) [snapback]37282[/snapback]

sorry but, in all my life, i wrote no books. shame on you, if you did tongue.gif

as to manfredi i suggest to you to read Ἀλέξανδρος, his biography about one of the greatest men of all time: alexander the great
but maybe you already did, since it has something to do with your country laugh.gif
much, much, much better than the oliver stones' movie

the last serious pretentious book i read is "american pastoral", by philip roth: a cerebral masturbation in the first fourth of the book, but then it slowly takes off

the last not so serious is the third episode in the trilogy in five books by douglas adams: the Hitchhiker series

cry.gif I neither understood my mistake!! cry.gif sorry again 4 my bad english.. cry.gif
Anyway I read the Manfredi's Alexandros, and actually I'm reading his "The Last Legion". smile.gif Edited by ANNE23

QUOTE(ANNE23 @ Jul 13 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]37605[/snapback]

cry.gif I neither understood my mistake!! cry.gif sorry again 4 my bad english.. cry.gif
Anyway I wrote the Manfredi's Alexandros, and actually I'm reading his "The Last Legion". smile.gif

You mean you read Manfredi's Alexandros, right?

It's either that, or something very strange is going on with our fabulous greek Nurse jester.gif

QUOTE(Hogfather @ Jul 13 2007, 10:11 AM) [snapback]37610[/snapback]

You mean you read Manfredi's Alexandros, right?

It's either that, or something very strange is going on with our fabulous greek Nurse jester.gif

I can't today!!! cry.gif I'm stressfull!!! sad.gif
Thank God tonight I'm leaving Athens to go to my village 4 the week-end.... laugh.gif

QUOTE(ANNE23 @ Jul 13 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]37614[/snapback]

I can't today!!! cry.gif I'm stressfull!!! sad.gif
Thank God tonight I'm leaving Athens to go to my village 4 the week-end.... laugh.gif

Good choice.. i'm going camping to my favorite nudist beach.

Cant wait to lie in the sun listening to the sound of the waves wink.gif
Too much pressure here i'm afraid.. dry.gif

QUOTE(Hogfather @ Jul 13 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]37621[/snapback]

Good choice.. i'm going camping to my favorite nudist beach.

Cant wait to lie in the sun listening to the sound of the waves wink.gif
Too much pressure here i'm afraid.. dry.gif

Nudistic beach in Athens?! blink.gif Where?! rolleyes.gif

I ask sorry to the staff for the OT.. blush.gif

QUOTE(ANNE23 @ Jul 13 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]37622[/snapback]

Nudistic beach in Athens?! blink.gif Where?! rolleyes.gif
I ask sorry to the staff for the OT.. blush.gif

There are nudist beaches at limanakia in Athens,
but i'm going at eyboia Island, at the beach of xiliadou

Free camping with showers! And it's so quiet, even when it's filled to the brim with people

notworthy.gif

p.s. Sorry about the thread hi-jacking... blush.gif

anne23 and hogfather feel free to hijack this nad other treads. no problem, we are not as stern as in other boards tongue.gif
and your english is not bad at all: i was just a bit confused when i saw "i wrote a book" instead of "i read a book" but the meaning was clear smile.gif

Finally a lively topic in the book section..
My last: I just read (in spanish) "Mr Nice" by Howard Marks, it is the autobiography of a british dope smuggler smoke.gif
My second last: "Pompei" by Robert Harris. This is the chronology of the last days before the Vesuvio`s eruption, giving a glance to the corrupted and degenerated roman society of 79 a.c. (read this one on the shore of a cambodian island)
My third last: "Jorney to the end of the night" by Fernand Celine which was raccomanded to me by gninori on previous down.gif board`s book section. It is an autobiographical, cynic but sharp,raw, view over the second half`s 19th century`s mankind in France and USA.

One of my all time favorites: "The magic mountain" by Thomas Mann...I won`t describe this one pimp.gif jester.gif

OK, enough for now..

hugs pals,

cb

Muhahahah "Mr Nice" !!! notworthy.gif Xcellent head book on the greatest hash smuggler of our times ! Some old friends of mine in Paris publish his book in french, mamaedidition .com and i met Howard Marks several times in their home full of the best weed ever, and yes it's really a nice guy, cool ,kind and almost shy huhu. Big up Curiousboy also for Mann, Harris and Céline (i just have to read the Magic Mountain , i'm 25 years in late huhu) !!! notworthy.gif (^ ^) friends.gif

Hey, Tang, quick as ever!
Great man you met there at your friend`s house! He must be a really NICE guy. Big ups for this one Tang!!!
We must meet one day!

hugs, cb

QUOTE(Tangerine @ Jul 16 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]38249[/snapback]

Yes a NICE guy indeed. I hope will meet Curious, we seem to have many things to share ! friends.gif Drop me a line in case of a Paris trip. wink.gif (^ ^) crazy.gif

yes, you two should meet
you seem to have met half of the world, the interesting and/or female part at least tongue.gif
bukowsy, this one marks (whom honestly i didnt know because i'm an angel far from drugs but i'm now interested to the book anyway), pratt, etc... ohmy.gif
your total 100 years sum up the dirty and dark wisdom of the world cool.gif notworthy.gif

QUOTE(gninori @ Jul 16 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]38298[/snapback]

yes, you two should meet
you seem to have met half of the world, the interesting and/or female part at least tongue.gif
bukowsy, this one marks (whom honestly i didnt know because i'm an angel far from drugs but i'm now interested to the book anyway), pratt, etc... ohmy.gif
your total 100 years sum up the dirty and dark wisdom of the world cool.gif notworthy.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Muhahaha maybe too much name dropping here but that's reality. wink.gif

But CD and I didn't meet yet the most famous unknown roman citizen of our times. wink.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif (^ ^) notworthy.gif Edited by Tangerine

• 4 weeks later...
last book i read was
IPB Image
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1...apesOfWrath.jpg

great great classic, on the dignity in struggle of human condition
but it's multi-layered and offers many keys of reading
a book worth having on shelves
the style is amazing: from the broken poor english of american migrants to the lyrical pure language used in the descriptive intermissions
the first chapter is a masterpiece on itself ohmy.gif Edited by gninori

Thanx for the great suggestion, gni, that`s gonna be one of my next books...
One of my favored writers is canarian (spanish) writer Alberto Vasquez Figueroa, lately, on his blog, he gives his latest novel to download for free with a new approach to the book market and the diffusion of culture...

http://vazquezfigueroa.blog.com/1934770/

The link for the DL is right on the beginning of the page. Oh, forgot, it`s in spanish (no prob for me, hihihi).

Other, probably well translated, outstanding works of him:

"El agua prometida" (reality)
"Sicario", "Icaro", "El perro" (fiction) ..and many others..

He is a cool guy.

Ciao,

cb

• 4 weeks later...
last book i read worth signalling is
IPB Image
The Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs
cynical, funny, it tells more about alcoholism and addictions than a scientific treatise
with lateral insights into the scottish soul as opposed to the english one sometimes
i don't know whether to envy or hate the main character. probably both
and with an incidental hommage to the punk age too: some way it has never died and lives along with us, as the leading characters in the novel cannot die and if they do... more i can't say... it's nice to find or guess about page by page wink.gif Edited by gninori

• 2 weeks later...
Great Irvine Welsh! I read "trainspotting" as well, But I would particulary suggest "Filth"

Summary

With the festive season almost upon him, Detective Sergeant Bruce Robertson is winding down at work and gearing up socially - kicking off Christmas with a week of sex and drugs in Amsterdam. There are irritating flies in the ointment, though, including a missing wife, a nagging cocaine habit, a dramatic deterioration in his genital health, a string of increasingly demanding extra-marital affairs. The last thing he needs is a messy murder to solve. Still it will mean plenty of overtime, a chance to stitch up some colleagues and finally clinch the promotion he craves. But as Bruce spirals through the lower reaches of degradation and evil, he encounters opposition - in the form of truth and ethical conscience - from the most unexpected quarter of all: his anus. In Bruce Robertson, Welsh has created one of the most corrupt, misanthropic characters in contemporary fiction and has written a dark, disturbing and very funny novel about sleaze, power, and the abuse of everything. At last, a novel that lives up to its name.

Strange and funny, especially when the main character talks to his own bowels.

Read it.

Hugs,

cb

QUOTE(curiousboy @ Sep 19 2007, 09:42 PM) [snapback]52986[/snapback]

Great Irvine Welsh! I read "trainspotting" as well, But I would particulary suggest "Filth"

Summary

With the festive season almost upon him, Detective Sergeant Bruce Robertson is winding down at work and gearing up socially - kicking off Christmas with a week of sex and drugs in Amsterdam. There are irritating flies in the ointment, though, including a missing wife, a nagging cocaine habit, a dramatic deterioration in his genital health, a string of increasingly demanding extra-marital affairs. The last thing he needs is a messy murder to solve. Still it will mean plenty of overtime, a chance to stitch up some colleagues and finally clinch the promotion he craves. But as Bruce spirals through the lower reaches of degradation and evil, he encounters opposition - in the form of truth and ethical conscience - from the most unexpected quarter of all: his anus. In Bruce Robertson, Welsh has created one of the most corrupt, misanthropic characters in contemporary fiction and has written a dark, disturbing and very funny novel about sleaze, power, and the abuse of everything. At last, a novel that lives up to its name.

Strange and funny, especially when the main character talks to his own bowels.

Read it.

Hugs,

cb

difficult to find in original. i'll keep trying...

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.