downloaded video files which suddenly become deformed

sunbelly

Does anyone have an idea of why a video suddenly gets deformed ? My most recent example is a .wmv file which I have downloaded, stored on my hard disk, and watched with no problems, and now I try to watch it again and it is all hazy and deformed. As well as knowing why this happens, I would like to know if it is possible to repair such a file (perhaps with WinRAR or something). Thanks for any suggestions.

Guest deeply
If it's more than 5 years old, then watch out... could mean corrupted drive.

Usually a drive lasts around ten years. Other portable hard copies, will fuck up after twenty, max.

Files on a healthy drive, can't be corrupted by themselves, unless under extremely rare circumstances, they have been converted poorly. Edited by deeply

[quote name='deeply' date='22 June 2011 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1308752910' post='335099']
If it's more than 5 years old, then watch out... could mean corrupted drive.

Usually a drive lasts around ten years. Other portable hard copies, will fuck up after twenty, max.

Files on a healthy drive, can't be corrupted by themselves, unless under extremely rare circumstances, they have been converted poorly.
[/quote]
Hi Deeply, this file is less than a year old and I watched it a few weeks ago with no problem. The drive (computer) is only 2 years old. It has happened before as well. The effect can arrive also on fast forwarding a video, for a moment before it settles down clear. What could be corrupting a file here and there I wonder. But thanks for what you've already said.

[quote name='hangbelly' date='22 June 2011 - 05:00 PM' timestamp='1308754828' post='335119']
The effect can arrive also on fast forwarding a video, for a moment before it settles down clear.
[/quote]

That effect i also have but only when i use VLC-player for wmv files(many people have that problem with vlc) .Make sure that you have all codec´s installed, old wmv files use old codec´s for clear view, make sure that all codec´s load when you start player.
That are tip´s from a noob so be careful :D

:)

[quote name='franki' date='23 June 2011 - 01:46 AM' timestamp='1308786419' post='335577']
That effect i also have but only when i use VLC-player for wmv files(many people have that problem with vlc) .Make sure that you have all codec´s installed, old wmv files use old codec´s for clear view, make sure that all codec´s load when you start player.
That are tip´s from a noob so be careful :D

[/quote]
franki, I'm not bothered about the fast forward thing, only about the completely deformed video (which was fine a short time before and I can't understand what has happened). My question now is how do I "make sure that all codecs load" when I play a video with VLC ? I've used VLC - my preferred player - for a long time and it just starts and does it's thing, and I can't see any way to check for codecs or anything like that. And there are no updates for VLC as far as I know.

Oh man i hope someone else with more knowledge about video restoring read this :blink: .

When you go to extras then plugins and module you see what codecs loaded atm.

Don´t know but maybe you install vlc new, or throw your pc out of the window sometimes it helps at least for me. ;)

[quote name='franki' date='24 June 2011 - 02:03 AM' timestamp='1308873792' post='337004']
Oh man i hope someone else with more knowledge about video restoring read this :blink: .

When you go to extras then plugins and module you see what codecs loaded atm.

Don´t know but maybe you install vlc new, or throw your pc out of the window sometimes it helps at least for me. ;)

[/quote]
yeah, you rightly point out my ignorance in these matters ; embarrassing indeed but I have to admit to it to get any help! thanks for the idea for extras plugins and module.

Just thought I'd mention that I fixed the problem by downloading new version of VLC ; old video played perfectly after that. (Still don't know what went wrong with it before though.)

• 7 months later...
Is it me, or does sigamp not recognize .wma files?
The .wma files dont have id3v1 tags so.... what am I doing wrong?
[url=http://alledy.ru/zenshina/mir-muzhchiny-i-mir-zhenwiny]Ìèð ìóæ÷èíû è ìèð æåíùèíû [/url]

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.