What's the problem with red sauce on pasta?

mxdil

IPB Image
I'm not an Italian, so for the cogniscienti: what's the problem with red sauce on pasta?

What's 'red' sauce to begin with?

who has problems with red sauce on pasta? i think it's the usual weak athens spreading rumours on sparta's virile recipes laugh.gif

red sauce is, i guess, sauce where tomato is the main ingredient
there can be pink sauce, with sour cream, a bit of tomato, etc, to go with some fish
or green sauce, with some vegetables, to get along with meat dishes, etc

today i cooked a hot red sauce
simple but the best for me
in a frying pan olive oil is heated with some red hot chili and garlick in it
when the garlic reaches the "golden" colour you add tomato sauce
and let it cook
meanwhile you have a boiling pot where you put some pasta in
when the pasta is 1, 2 minutes left of complete cooking, you take it out of water and finish cooking in the pan mixing and stirring with the sauce
if the pasta is penne you get the classical roman dish "penne all'arrabbiata" penne cooked in the angry way
example
http://www.annamariavolpi.com/penne_arrabbiata.html
but there are differences from "my way"

anyway, i found this about red sauce
http://www.culinarycafe.com/Ethnic_Dishes/...lian_Sauce.html
in my opinion there isn't a traditional unique italian red sauce but many ways to combine several ingredients with tomatoes dry.gif

brilliant avatar as usual; scary or funny, i can't decide tongue.gif Edited by gninori

QUOTE(Tangerine @ Jun 19 2007, 08:19 AM) [snapback]31499[/snapback]

Anymore recipe on a brown sauce i could use with that kind

the druggie partier in me says mushrooms would make a very nice brown sauce crazy.gif crazy.gif crazy.gif cool.gif friends.gif

So there's no culinary code that says that certain things don't go with pasta? A lot of folks put ketchup on it. Over here, spaghetti is sometimes served as a dessert with brown sugar - no pun intended;)

And on a sideways topic: magic mushrooms go perfectly together with a a few slices of Parma or Serrano's finest on a prosciuto & funky funghi pizza! tongue.gif Edited by mxdil

QUOTE(mxdil @ Jun 23 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]32677[/snapback]

So there's no culinary code that says that certain things don't go with pasta? A lot of folks put ketchup on it. Over here, spaghetti is sometimes served as a dessert with brown sugar - no pun intended;)

And on a sideways topic: magic mushrooms go perfectly together with a a few slices of Parma or Serrano's finest on a prosciuto & funky funghi pizza! tongue.gif

Thanks for the magic muhroom siders MXdil, now I better understand the meaning of your animated sign. laugh.gif jester.gif
(^ ^) crazy.gif

And on a sideways topic: magic mushrooms go perfectly together with a a few slices of Parma or Serrano's finest on a prosciuto & funky funghi pizza! tongue.gif

there isnt culinary code against red sauce on pasta
ketchup is different
it's not a legal code but a moral one
ketchup on pasta is like blasphemy here
there are not lots of folk doing that here
i can use ketchup when preparing a spicy sauce also with tabasco, etc
but nobody uses ketchup directly on pasta, like it were meat, hotdog, fries, etc
this is what is traditional or customary here
of course spaghetti can be served with icing or strawberries or snails or shit, the way you like
nobody is going to complain. but i for one won't eat it tongue.gif

funny anyway that pasta sounds like sparta laugh.gif Edited by gninori

QUOTE(gninori @ Jun 24 2007, 02:01 AM) [snapback]32691[/snapback]

funny anyway that pasta sounds like sparta laugh.gif

Don't get this one...

i have a phobia of ketchup.... i dont even own a bottle but the wife has sneaked in a few packets from Popeye's chicken.

but i will agree with gninori, even thought there is no LAW about ketchup it really is a moral ordeal....

There's only one occasion in which I use ketchup, and I NEED it then, and that is on what people in general in Belgium call 'spaghetti'. When they reffer to spaghetti, they talk about a recipe roughly based on spaghetti bolognese, but with a lot of variation of ingredients. About any vegetable can be used: broccoli, mais, selery, carrots,... Some add garlic, bacon, mushrooms,... And with this recipe I always need ketchup to add, except if I or my gf make it with ingredients that deserve better than ketchup... tongue.gif

Also, in my country it is more common to put emmental or gruyere cheese on spaghetti, rather tha parmigiano.

QUOTE(mxdil @ Jun 24 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]32833[/snapback]

...Also, in my country it is more common to put emmental or .....

good fucking call notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
and the belgians only fall second in chocolate to the swiss - Lindt wink.gif Excellence notworthy.gif

btw i am more opposed to ketchup in principles rather than taste.
A- i dont like that it is high in sugar - evil of the west
B- dont like how sooooo many use it as a goo to with food, as if they cant eat the food unless it tastes like ketchup. there are people who wont eat fries without ketchup.

variety is the spice of life cool.gif

QUOTE(anllover @ Jun 24 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]32838[/snapback]

good fucking call notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
and the belgians only fall second in chocolate to the swiss - Lindt wink.gif Excellence notworthy.gif

You couldn't be more wrong, my friend. Belgian chocolate IS by any standard the best chocolate in the world. Before someting can legally be called chocolate in Belgium, it has to contain a minimum of cocoa, which is far higher than it is in other countries. There's also chocolate or cocoa fantasy, this looks like and tastes like (inferior) chocolate, but it can't legally be called chocolate here. Our chocolate is protected by the law, now beat that, Swiss!!! tongue.gif

Seriously, I'm not saying this as a Belgian but as a gourmet.

just be sure that you don´t heat the mushrooms too much. the more heat the more psylocybin they´ll loose sad.gif in the end you could have taken normal champignons.

btw, magic mushrooms for me are a divine meal that should be eaten totally on their own. no added food and just plain water. when the effects are there it´s nice to try various tastes though. funny how things taste different then. for example i love beer but hate it under the shroom´s influence. but all citrus fruits are sooooooooooo tasty wink.gif and just try a simple apple - you´ll taste everything mother nature has to offer pimp.gif

QUOTE(mxdil @ Jun 24 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]32856[/snapback]

You couldn't be more wrong, my friend. Belgian chocolate IS by any standard the best chocolate in the world. Before someting can legally be called chocolate in Belgium, it has to contain a minimum of cocoa, which is far higher than it is in other countries. There's also chocolate or cocoa fantasy, this looks like and tastes like (inferior) chocolate, but it can't legally be called chocolate here. Our chocolate is protected by the law, now beat that, Swiss!!! tongue.gif

Seriously, I'm not saying this as a Belgian but as a gourmet.

i totally second that smile.gif anl, have you ever tried Guylian, Godiva or Leonidas eat.gif eat.gif eat.gif eat.gif lindt chocolate is like junk food compared to that brands tongue.gif crazy.gif

IPB Image
guylian

IPB Image
godiva

IPB Image
leonidas

but beware, it´s highly addictive and could cause some serious weight problems tongue.gif laugh.gif

btw, here´s an interesting article about the world´s best chocolate: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/11/11/075652.php

anl, be sure to read the comments below the article. here´s a small part of one comment that will catch your interest wink.gif

The best chocolate in the world I have ever had was in Toronto a few month ago from a magical shop called Sweet Olenka's - they make everything on site and yummy chocolate treats are impossible to resist like the chili truffles and their own blend of home made chocolate chilli ice cream. Oh my god this shopd is to die for!
Edited by gershi

first off i am insulted and dissapointed...

and gershi yes i have tried both guylian and godiva, both good... but it is more likely to find me raping a toad then to PAY for a name like godiva thinks you should.... just another hilfiger/north face/nike air deal...

oh well whatever.... seems with a closed mind one will miss out on sooooo much. blegian, the best -HA! the world is much bigger than that. tongue.gif the list of quality chocolates i have tried is VERY long, and let me assure chocolate IS worldly.

QUOTE(anllover @ Jun 26 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]33342[/snapback]

first off i am insulted and dissapointed...

and gershi yes i have tried both guylian and godiva, both good... but it is more likely to find me raping a toad then to PAY for a name like godiva thinks you should.... just another hilfiger/north face/nike air deal...

oh well whatever.... seems with a closed mind one will miss out on sooooo much. blegian, the best -HA! the world is much bigger than that. tongue.gif the list of quality chocolates i have tried is VERY long, and let me assure chocolate IS worldly.

eeeehhhmmmm, is this you, my friend ? tongue.gif crazy.gif

IPB Image
bad day

visit the spa and relax pimp.gif

IPB Image
spa

not at all gershi.... we are all friends in this thread so i was just being mellow dramatic.

sorry friends i have yet to figure out how to get sarcasm across the net.... but you have to admit the toad raping paints a nice picture (even better if it is a cane toad from Oz) crazy.gif

i guess a bad mood would be a good guess combining my sarcasm in this thread and my new signature... but in fact i am really fun lovin....
IPB Image
with a big shit eating grin on my face tongue.gif

but on a serious note
IPB Image

Of course there are better, more exquisite kinds of chocolate sold than what you regard as Belgian chocolate. But I'm talking everyday chocolate here, not some obscure and nearly extinct cocoa bean from a mountain top in the amazones, which is first eaten, digested and excreted by a rare species of bats and then roasted on a night with full moon when mars and venus are alined...

I've travelled around and when I do that, I try to eat and drink like the locals, so inevitably, I've tried foreign (for me) chocolates in grocery stores to hyper markets. Most tasted like shit. When I walk into any store or bar here in Belgium, I'm sure I'm gonna find me either Cote D'Or or Callebaut chocolate. Both are better than anything else I've tasted straight from the shelf. That's my point: I don't have to go to a delicatessen or a chocolatier to find good chocolate, I can buy it at every corner of the street.

If you had ever had any doubts about what I'm talking about, get yourself one of these, it's Belgian chocolates business card wink.gif
http://www.chocosphere.com/cgi-bin/webstor..._id=%%cart_id%%

And concerning chocolates (pralines): when it comes to brand names, I dare you to find me a better brand than Godiva closedeyes.gif

To console you: I always make sure that I buy Canadian maple syrup tongue.gif
(BTW: why is maple syrup that expensive?) Edited by mxdil

Great thread heheh. tongue.gif You're all so funny and passionate . laugh.gif

I dunno about the ketchup but chocolate intake has been linked with release of serotonin in the brain, which produces feelings of pleasure.
A study reported by the BBC indicated that melting chocolate in one's mouth produced an increase in brain activity and heart rate that was more intense than that associated with passionate kissing, and also lasted four times as long after the activity had ended. jester.gif

Research has shown that heroin addicts tend to have an increased liking for chocolate; this may be because it triggers dopamine release in the brain's reinforcement systems; an effect, albeit a legal one, similar to that of opiates huhuh. crazy.gif

Good old chocolate have so many good things for our body and mind :

Theobromine: This is the primary alkaloid found in cocoa and chocolate, and is one of the causes for chocolate's mood-elevating effects. This mild stimulant belongs to the methylxanthine family, which also includes the similar compound caffeine, with which theobromine is frequently confused.

Anandamide: An endogenous cannabinoid. crazy.gif

Tryptophan: An essential amino acid that is a precursor to serotonin, an important neurotransmitter involved in regulating moods (mods?).

Phenethylamine: An endogenous alkaloid and monoamine. Often described as a 'love chemical' huhuh tongue.gif , it can cause endorphin releases in the brain. smile.gif .However, unlike its synthetic derivative amphetamine, it is quickly metabolized by the enzyme MAO-B, preventing significant concentrations from reaching the brain. sad.gif

Caffeine: This stimulant is present mainly in coffee and tea. Exists in chocolate in very small amounts.

So you're just a bunch of head members ! IPB Image Chocolate legal trip jester.gif

So, I'm already too fat and I have so many addictions in my life so i don't want to add a chocolate one ! IPB ImageWanna lick it? biggrin.gif

Thanks for your advice on mushroom recipes Gershi, totaly agree with you, my head mod ! crazy.gif (^ ^) friends.gif Edited by Tangerine

• 3 weeks later...
One day all people putting ketchup or chocolate on spaghrtti will be judged for their crime and go to hell!

Autentic chocolate drug: Nutella! Spoonwise, drinking (or better mixing it in the mouth) with cold milk.

A hedonistic,

cb

QUOTE(curiousboy @ Jul 18 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]38845[/snapback]

Autentic chocolate drug: Nutella! Spoonwise, drinking (or better mixing it in the mouth) with cold milk.

A hedonistic,

cb

Good choice my hedonist friend but much funnier with H for a stronger effect ! jester.gif (^ ^) :crazy:ok i'm goint to meet My parisian RSBBfriends at the Rosebud bar and share cocktails. tongue.gif

I'm Italian, so my partiality is on pasta, not on chocoa
(by the way: ketSHITup on spagetti!!!???!!! The pope condamned you to hell the moment you only though about it! And he's german!!)
In my personal taste, and having been both in Belgium and in Switzerland, I prefer Swiss milk chocloate, expecially for easter eggs, but I give my vote to Belgium for more elaborate/mixed chocolate (Mozart's balls is just the VERY beginning, but it's an example of what I mean by sayng elaborate).
I hope I'm not damned myself for this, but as I repeat: it's my personal taste...

p.s. After you try real chocolate you see the truth: Nutella is SHIT... and I'm not into skat! Edited by baro25

to curiousboy and baro25
the flavour of nutella is changed throughout the years
till 15 years ago you had a more bitter natural taste in my opinion, more dense with hazelnut-nocciola the nutella rightly took the name from
now it seems sweeter in an artificial way, probably when the producer expanded massively form national market to international scope. so losing the original or at least sixties flavour and we, at least I, missing it
i still eat nutella but it's not like years ago. or maybe my mouth has just changed, in a conservative way tongue.gif
but i have to try with milk yet rolleyes.gif Edited by gninori

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.