Terry Pratchett: Complete Works on offer (Hardback).

Truly

I collected his complete works, and managed to get his first book he ever wrote signed.

I have his most recent editions to his Discworld universe, all in hardback.

I will be putting them up on Ebay soon...get some shelf space for my ever growing collection of other authors.

Funny thing is, I have softback editions as well! I think I'll keep those, being more sentimental than valuable.

If your a fan of Cover Illustration, his books are among the best.

Talking about books of parody and satyr, has anyone read Bored of the Rings?

I got all my Isaac Asamov novels gathering dust also, may also put them up on Ebay. Especially his Target: Earth series...haven't read in years...I have too much else to read, to discover most good old books again.

Great author Trully, one of my rpgamers kid's favs but I have to keep my french dictionnary always beside me when I'm on RSBB so I don't have the time to read english big books now, too bad. huh.gif
But buy them pals, they're gr8 ! (^ ^)

Post properly, G. dry.gif Just google it...I don't even have to tell you what to do...it's like spoon feeding Steven Hawking...depressing.

And will you make an offer Tang? biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Truly @ Apr 1 2007, 03:32 AM) [snapback]3950[/snapback]

Post properly, G. dry.gif Just google it...I don't even have to tell you what to do...it's like spoon feeding Steven Hawking...depressing.

And will you make an offer Tang? biggrin.gif

i posted properly
i wanted to confess honestly that i don't know that author, as it can happen between decent people not to know and to say so
i know i can google but that wouldn't make me a connoisseur of terry pratchett anyway
maybe some passionate words from an enthusiast fan would have me interested to him
i hope you understand the difference

terry prachett is critically acclaimed and in my opinion highly overrated.

he appears to write specifically for an audience of children, ('the wee free men' is specifically aimed at this age group and is rather good because of this) in this respect i think his work is great and could be used in english literature classes, his understatement and swiftian hyperbole are excellent examples of creative language use.

but personally i think he gets bogged down in description and much of the 'genius' attributed to him is based on the general consensus that he has a prodigious imagination, something i do not agree with. you would do a lot better by investigating the works of phillip pullman (eg, his dark materials) from the point of reading similar subject matter. clive barker (eg, weaveworld) could then be the next step i suppose, and what an excellent step it would be.

I said I'm selling them. Wonder why (for many reasons, but your spot on with some of the criticism of him)? Yes... ofc it's meant to be aimed at a child's mind... I started reading them when I was 7. Why do you think they are so well illustrated? You do not need to read in-between the lines to see that, fool.

I don't like you spitting on his imagination. I felt his universe had a Tolkien-eque feeling, and I haven't gotten that from anything other that's widely read: as you said, his Dark Materials and Weaveworld are a lot...more literally astute.

I create my own worlds...in my head with their own language, and history: everything the world has, but under different laws of science and perspective. Almost like playing god...in your mind. That's if you believe in religion anyway, which I don't: simply a waste of time.

This...creation in my mind is the ambition I live by...all the books I've read have been the tools to create it...metaphorically, at least. Not fiction worthy, but creation worthy. I want to wonder beyond the walls of the universe, even the mutliverse. I desire the supernatural, even: but within my own invention. That's why I learn so much: what knowledge I need to possess to create my world, my universe is everything the universe possesses. Then maybe, I can think outside the box to even outer-universal proportions...and defy all probability to revolutionise my existance. Go me. biggrin.gif

So you have the complete works of clive barker? Hmm...haven't read him for 6 months.

And G: ahh ok. I think pro has said what I would've done...but a bit more cynically.

You need to create a collective opinion, anyway pro: read all his books, and some of the more complicated ones.

I may have a slight bias of sentimentality to his imagination, and creativity, but that's because my Grandfather, when I was a kid, used to laugh along together about the adventures of Rincewind. He's now very old...and I worry...sorry, I don't like dealing with death close to me: because I feel it's something I cannot control. Hopefully, with medical science, I can make sure I don't have to worry about it.

you are assuming a lot of things; for your information i have read several pratchett books, mainly because of wanting to give them a fair chance rather than genuine enthusiasm, but i eventually gave in to my integrity and completely lost interest at 'hogfather'. the best work of his in my opinion is 'good omens' which he was only half involved with.

QUOTE(Truly @ Apr 1 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]4272[/snapback]

I said I'm selling them. Wonder why (for many reasons, but your spot on with some of the criticism of him)? Yes... ofc it's meant to be aimed at a child's mind... I started reading them when I was 7. Why do you think they are so well illustrated? You do not need to read in-between the lines to see that, fool.

I don't like you spitting on his imagination. I felt his universe had a Tolkien-eque feeling, and I haven't gotten that from anything other that's widely read: as you said, his Dark Materials and Weaveworld are a lot...more literally astute.

I create my own worlds...in my head with their own language, and history: everything the world has, but under different laws of science and perspective. Almost like playing god...in your mind. That's if you believe in religion anyway, which I don't: simply a waste of time.

This...creation in my mind is the ambition I live by...all the books I've read have been the tools to create it...metaphorically, at least. Not fiction worthy, but creation worthy. I want to wonder beyond the walls of the universe, even the mutliverse. I desire the supernatural, even: but within my own invention. That's why I learn so much: what knowledge I need to possess to create my world, my universe is everything the universe possesses. Then maybe, I can think outside the box to even outer-universal proportions...and defy all probability to revolutionise my existance. Go me. biggrin.gif

So you have the complete works of clive barker? Hmm...haven't read him for 6 months.

And G: ahh ok. I think pro has said what I would've done...but a bit more cynically.

You need to create a collective opinion, anyway pro: read all his books, and some of the more complicated ones.

I may have a slight bias of sentimentality to his imagination, and creativity, but that's because my Grandfather, when I was a kid, used to laugh along together about the adventures of Rincewind. He's now very old...and I worry...sorry, I don't like dealing with death close to me: because I feel it's something I cannot control. Hopefully, with medical science, I can make sure I don't have to worry about it.

that's much better and the only way to get me near one of his books and maybe buy one. i did in the past, following some posts in this section. for example i bought sophia's world, i bought some dean koontz
if you and prol agree on his best book being good omens that could be next in my list
but will you and prol ever agree? smile.gif
oh, yes, you two did: in kicking my brain biggrin.gif

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.