still with codec issues

anllover

I sortof understand what marci was saying in another thread but I have put so many codecs on my machine some seem to keep changing settings while other are fighting. I intall one thing and fix a problem but come up with other problems.

I like to watch my movies in windows media player but will use MPC or VLC when needed.
I want to be able to cut movies and join them again in easy video joiner and splitter but virtual dub will be fine.
I also want the ability to convert files with any of the many programs I have but nothing seems to keep working for long.

seems I have angelpotion definitive codec and have read that is bad.

what I am hoping is that someone will take my by the hand, ask me questions and tell me EXACTALLY what to do. I want to remove my codecs and then install the proper pack(s) from trusted sources.

Anyone? I got a lot of files just sitting on my pc that need some work before I share them (splitting/joining etc)

please some help

thanks
anllover

I'm here to willingly help, if I could.

What are the symptoms of your problem?
Can you watch the clips you want to split/join? If you do so, probably you only need to pick the right program to cut/join.

For example Easy Video Splitter not works well with all kind of files for me, especially wmv, often freezes, but Easy Video Joiner is fine. Boilsoft Video Splitter does the splitting well, but don't shows the right colors for wmvs (only ca. 4 strange negative colors), it's hard to navigate in the movie, so I've picked Xilisoft Video Editor for wmvs, which seems to be fine in every aspect... smile.gif Life is a bitch, especially at video editing. biggrin.gif So there is no absolute solution.

Yes, too much codecs might be a problem too. Have you installed many codec packs beside K-Lite? K-Lite is a good pack, a little bit too much for me in itself, but rarely cause problems. If you're unable to bear the fight with the conflicting codecs (or programs that use codecs), you sould try to uninstall the packs.

But remember: splitting/joining is not a codec problem in first approach. It's the problem of the splitting/joining program, mostly. The programs should manage the files without any codecs, if the movie format characteristics was coded to the program itself. But yes, sometimes the programs read out that characteristics from the codecs. Or sometimes it uses another, older codecs for the cutting/joining than the active, newer version, which is being used by the movie player.

So, the first question:
Can you watch the movies you want to cut/join?
What kind of formats are they? wmv? avi? mpg? mov? rm?

Oh, for the Angelpotion Definitive codec: I don't know it, I don't have it, I don't need it... smile.gif I use MPlayer with built-in codecs for MPEG-4 movies.

I can watch all files I have, mostly in windows media player.
if not there (some mov) then VLC or MPC and I watch rm files in MPC.

currently I have a stack of avi files I want to join.
I want to be able to split all file types but can only split mpg (or is it avi)

interestingly enough some of my problems started when I was trying to find a good dvd video burning program so it is possible there is another problem rather than codecs.

another thing I noticed is that with imagegrabberII just recently I got the green line up the middle of my preview pics on wmv files. I noticed that today and also noticed a funny colour in the black part of the screen when actually playing some of those files. So today after noticing that I installed the ffdshow like you showed in the other thread and the black went back to black.... not sure about the imagegrabberII - must check that.

long ago when I installed easy split and join they worked for most every file... with the exception of joining some avi files. now the joiner will not join anything... but I know little over a month ago I could join wmv files.
I had tried virtdub at about the same install time but it would do nothing. I looked at yours from the movie cutting zip of yours I DL'd a while back and the virtdubmod seems to open BUT it wont handle wmvs... that is the only type I tried.

so I am wondering if this isn't a codec problem then something has messed with my video card (as my dvd burning programs error message says it is expired) or MicroSoft (shitbags) have done more to through a wrench in and make us all more depenedant.

also the error message I get from easy splitter (when trying wmv) is that I need the updated version of windows player... which I do not want... I mean why upgrade to something I do not want or trust when the program (ez) worked with this same player installed before.

arggggggg!!!

Sorry, but I was a little bit ill in these days, not so serious, just a flu, but I was sooo weak and dispirited, that I gave a hang up on my PC.

So, your system seems to be in very bad shape. Worse than I thought. If I were you, I would do a Windows reinstall, but I don't know how you maintain a relation to system renewal.
But there is another option too, of course: trying to cure your system. But I don't see so much luck with that.

What was your "last attempt"? Did you try to uninstall the codec packs? Did you try to uninstall that DVD burning software?
Although I'm quite sure, that this is not a hardware problem with your videocard, we gather proof about that, if you download SMPlayer (a front-ended MPlayer), becouse it uses ONLY built-in codecs, not the installed codecs on your system. I suggest you to try to play your videos with it first.

http://smplayer.sourceforge.net

Download this:
Package with installer: smplayer_0.6.0rc2_lite.exe (11.08 MB)

This is not so necessary:
Additional codecs: smplayer_codecs_20071007.exe

sorry to hear you were sick... I hope I didn't give it to you laugh.gif

I installed the ffdshow or something like that codec you had said something about in another thread... can't find the thread right now.

I am now DL the smplayer and will give report on file playage shortly.

I don't have windows disk for windows reinstall and have too much on this pc now to risk something like that. I need to loose my internet for a few weeks so I have no choice but to sort my shit and clear this pc... then maybe I would try to do a "revert to factory settings" or whatever the thing is.... I think I can do that. Would be my best bet really but not sure it will happen.

SM player installed. all files play fine except RM type.
files checked:
mp4
mpg
avi
wmv
mov

I think if I got rid of my codec and started fresh install starting with k-lite I might be better off. perhaps uninstall my splitter, joiner, and converter programs. and then reinstall once codecs are re-installed... just thinking out loud here. Edited by anllover

Yes, SMPlayer is not the best for RM and MOV, I use Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative codecs with Media player Classic to playback them.

Yes, I think it's a good idea to uninstall all of your codecs or codec packs, if you can. But probably you can't uninstall ALL of your codecs. I mean, not just you, but anyone, you know. smile.gif Some codecs are un-uninstallable. smile.gif But try to uninstall as many as you can.

Uninstalling your splitter, joiner and converter programs is not so necessary (I think), but let's do it more safely, rip em off too. It's not a big deal to install them again.

Then install only the fewest codecs as possible. Only ffdshow (with all install options checked) or K-Lite. (Remember K-Lite includes ffdshow too.) Then do a try with your splitter/joiner programs. btw: my ffdshow and VirtualDubMod thread (what you can't find earlier): http://www.rosebuttboard.com/index.php?showtopic=11827

And I recommend you to use MPC, VLC, SMPlayer instead of Windows Media Player. It screws up your system, especially with bad configuration.

Give feedback about the process, and maybe we can turn to the editor programs.

OKey DOkey... but 2 things while I do that:

I normally use Windows Media Player BUT I do not let it connect to the internet ala my firewall.

I forgot to mention I ended up with a problem usning my Movie Maker.... it reads nothing. Could that be connected or part of a bigger different issue?

Thanks for your input smile.gif

OK, of course you're free to use WMP smile.gif

The Movie Maker problem is very likely connected to your codec problem, but not a part of a different issue, I think. Movie Maker is a relatively old software (even MM2 too), I don't know how it handle the newer WMV codecs, I never use it. But if it worked for you in the past, then it must be work after the codec reinstall too.

• 1 month later...
I just now uninstalled all codecs and pack and installed the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack here but I am worse off now.
I have even taken your advice and made mediaplayerclassic the default.

some avi wont play
all wmv will not play
realplayer files will not play

mpeg and mpg seem to play

all files will play with SM player.

I have not yet tried my edit software but will soon, although I need to be able to watch everything before I am editing I guess.

codecs that I removed
divx
xvid
ace mega codec pack
xp pack
real player

marci please advice notworthy.gif xp codec need to be added back? I think the divx and xvid come with k-lite mega...

Well, I've sugested you to uninstall all of your codecs, that seems to me a good choice to try, but I was quite sure about uninstalling ALL of your codecs is nearly impossible. Always remains some well buried codec, registration junk after the process. This is why - when I'm in similar situation - I don't try to cure my system, but do a Windows reinstallation. Thank God, that it's quite rare nowadays. But I'm in lucky situation, because I have two computers with two independent hard disk in each and with two independent Windows on them in each machine. Plus a laptop. That's what I call security. smile.gif But my installed programs and settings gone with the reinstall, that's true and confusing. So I'm perfectly understand your abstaining from it.

With the installed K-Lite Mega Pack it should play all kind of videos (ok, nearly). Shoot a glance at this list about the pack's features:
http://www.codecguide.com/features_mega.htm
It list nearly every kind of codecs. The only one I find wanting is the Quicktime Alternative for .mov files. Even Realtime Alternative is added too. So only this pack should be enough alone. The thing, that even the avis wont play with the certainly installed divx and xvid codecs means, that your system is seriously screwed up. Adding the XP codec pack too (from which I heard quite good reports, but I don't have it) will not solve anything, I think. But we can't say anything like that for sure. Maybe it will be better. Or not.

I was thinking about your problem a lot, but I have not so many suggestions. Maybe you should have a try to that Codec Tweak Tool and do the recommended fixes:
http://www.codecguide.com/download_other.htm
This is a stand-alone version of the tool that is included in the K-Lite Codec Pack.

With this tool you can do things like:

Scan the registry to detect and remove broken references to codecs and filters.
Generate a detailed log of all installed codecs and filters.
Enable/disable over 190 codecs and filters (if they are installed)
IPB Image

I'm sorry to say, but I don't have other idea for now about the healing.
But if you can watch all files with SM Player, you should make it the default media player. Maybe use Media Player Classic with Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative for .rm and .mov. OK, it will not solve ALL of your problems and yes, maybe you won't be able to edit all of your vids, but maybe you can live with it. But the editing programs sometimes use their built-in codecs not your installed ones, so maybe you will be able to use some of them. I'm not sure about it, but I think VirtualDubMod can edit divx and xvid vids (but only divx an xvid) without installed external codecs. If it is true (I'm not sure), then you're in better situation already, because it's a frequently used form of vids, especially with large file size. (Large files need more edit-cut, ya know...)

So, that's not much, I know, but I tried my best...
But I don't want to let you alone, feel free to ask like till now... smile.gif Edited by marci

OK I have now installed the XP codec pack which fixed my realmedia problem but not my wmv/asf problem. So I looked at the tweak again. The list is rather daunting, but found a few at the bottom that sounded right so I clicked "enable" and tried my movies. They are all playing now (from the immediate looks of things). So I will now look at my splitting programs and see what is what... but from the list is looks like some of the codec for the splitters are broken so I might just re-install those programs to see if the codecs will be replace proper. Thanks for keeping a look at this marci.

You mean that?
Disable the following broken filters:
MP4/MOV splitter
Matroska splitter
Ogg splitter
FLV splitter
MPEG splitter
RealMedia splitter

Those are filters that "split" the movie files to video and audio streams for further process like playing them.
They don't relate to the editor programs closer than other codecs or filters. (If that was what you mean with "re-install those programs", so you mean the editor programs.) But re-installing those editor programs don't do any harm either.
Edited by marci

directx media object management, I enabled them under DMO.

but since you bring up the part about broken filters(i had noticed that section and was wondering), sounds like they pertain to none of my problems so I should not think about that right?

Well, I don't know. In that section the tweaker lists the broken filters. I've tried it: I've moved some of my filters to another directory with Total Commander, and the tweaker shows that they are broken. When I've moved them back to their original places, the tweaker don't shows them in the list. So when it lists something in that section, than it has some problem, "broken" (so it's a variable list, not a constant).

Anyway, did you try checking in the first box at the "Fixes:"? Edited by marci

• 2 weeks later...
Yes I have tried checkin the fix box and seems to do nothing....
although almost all my files play without problem. There are a few mpg and wmv files that show 7 seconds run time but play past that... not sure the codec needed for that but not the biggest problem ATM.

I am able to join some wmv files but not split them.... says need newer version of windows media player. not on my to do list. I will say I have switched my player of choice to the MPC like you (marci) were suggesting. Nicer friendlier features.

I can split some avi files but not all. I am have enough workability to sort through my vids and get somewhere. I already have about 100 gb set aside to delete.... just not sure IF I am wanting to upload any or it or not.

Last thing... I do not have nero YET... but I do my (or did) my DVD making with Roxio 9. when I try to open the DVD burner I get this error

IPB Image

any clue as to what it means OR if installing Nero will work without further vid card fix?

Ok, so you're healing, right? smile.gif

About the "'showing 7 seconds":
Sometimes people don't join little clips together in the right way, but just copy the clips together with the "copy /b" DOS command, like HJSplit do. In that case there are several file headers in the whole clip which show the runtime of the independent clips, instead of the time of the one whole movie. I don't say that this is the origin of your "7 secs problem", especially in every time, but maybe, sometimes.

Not to mention the movies with incorrect extension. Usually, it's not a big deal, because the programs handle them according by their header, not by extension. You can check the correct codec/header/extension with special programs like MediaInfo or G-Spot. Or with Total Commander's built in viewer (Lister), if you have experienced with recognizing movie headers with the naked eye. smile.gif
BTW, I've attached this pic with common movie headers, viewed with TC:
IPB Image

"I am able to join some wmv files but not split them...."
Well, it could be a codec problem too, but more likely a problem affected by the splitting program. (Cutting is far harder issue than joining for the programs.)

As I've said above:
"For example Easy Video Splitter not works well with all kind of files for me, especially wmv, often freezes, but Easy Video Joiner is fine. Boilsoft Video Splitter does the splitting well, but don't shows the right colors for wmvs (only ca. 4 strange negative colors), it's hard to navigate in the movie, so I've picked Xilisoft Video Editor for wmvs, which seems to be fine in every aspect... smile.gif Life is a bitch, especially at video editing. biggrin.gif So there is no absolute solution."

I'm not able to cut from all kind of vids either... Especially some rm, mov, wmv and flv. So, if I really need a cut, and the vid is not so long, then I convert it to an easily handled form, like mpeg or divx, then do the cut on it. But usually I give up. smile.gif

About Roxio:
Ok, you got this error message, but Roxio runs or not? I think not. (Because if it runs, there is no big problem, right? I'm smart... smile.gif )
I can't imagine what a DVD burner want with your video card. (Actually, it seems to me an integrated video chipset on the motherboard, not an independent video card in a slot.)
Maybe Roxio is wrestling with the directx drivers (which serves the video chipset and the DVD burner, like every program which have visualisation), and not with the driver of the video chipset. It seems quite logical...

My advice is that you should install the newest directx first. That's easy and harmless. (maybe tongue.gif)

Then, if it still not works, try to install a newer driver for your video card (motherboard). But it's quite hard to find drivers sometimes on the internet. Intel has a good site, but you must know your chipset type exactly. So, I'm not really recommend this, but...

Try to install Nero instead.
I recommend you to install the micro version or the lite, not the full. But it just burns, nothing else. Can't convert and such, but install the fewest drivers and codecs. And I heard a few bad things about the 8.xx versions (especially about the cracked ones, it's hard to crack), so I recommend the micro version 7.xx I use it too, without problems. (There were some problems with 6.xx for me.)

Good luck! Edited by marci

When the player reads the play time wrong it is with files I have played in the past and played alright, so it is some sort of still unsorted codec issue but not worth the trouble at this point.

As for the Roxio, it will run after the error but when it comes time to burn (if I remember correctly) it does not realize my drive is a DVD writer and think it only reads... I will go for the Nero and thanks for the suggestion on which to use.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.