Pan-fish almondine with onion straw

Proctorw

This is really simple

Fillet any (smallish) fish - I usually use Bluefish or Spanish Mackerall since I live on the gulfcoast of Florida and catch them locally - but freshwater perch, sunfish, and trout are wonderfull (scaled with skin - to keep all the best vitamines, or skinless) ... try to get fillets about the size of your fully extended hand - small bones don't matter, they'll disappear as you cook.

Caution: You need the raw fillets to be no more than 1 in in thickness, preferably 3/4 in. otherwise it won't crisp up!

Use a frybaby to contain the grease explosions when you drop 1/2 sliced onion per diner - NO batter or seasonings as you fry.

Mix 1 egg (without shell!) and 1/2 cup milk - brisk.

Magic part.
Grab a plate and sprinkle with any fish-batter or just raw flower.
Grab another plate and sprinkle with SLICED ALMONDS (you can gently crush them for a smaller size)

In a skilett, add 1/2 in of oil and bring to about 400 (farenhite)

Roll the fillets in milk/egg and roll in batter.
Roll the battered fillets quickly in milk/egg and hold up to drain excess drippings.
Roll and press the filetts into almonds - try to get complete coverage both sides.

Gently! place fillets in pan
It doesn't take long - about 2 min, gently flip over.

Magic part.
After 1 min, take spatula and PRESS - I use a fork on top to realy smash them down.
Watch Out! - the water you squeeze out will bring the oil to a bubbling frenzy.

Its done! dry them on paper towells

Serve - add the onion straw to the side and offer lemmon juice and salt.
Probably doesn't need salt if its ocean caught fish - you almost can't add too much lemmon.

It took longer to write this than to do it.

If you think(know) you don't like fish, but you don't mind fried chicken - try this.
I assure you, there is no "gammey" fish taste, and the flavors of the browned almonds plus lemmons, plus onion straw will combine to "Roll" your eyeballs!

Bon-appatite!

QUOTE(Bimboy @ Jan 16 2008, 09:03 PM) [snapback]76130[/snapback]

Thanx a lot for this urbandictionary link...it`s in my bookmarks now.

QUOTE(anllover @ Jan 16 2008, 09:10 PM) [snapback]76132[/snapback]

could be but if you are serious google image search for "fry daddy" wink.gif I would assUme the baby is the small version

That might also be cause english and germans "create" so many words by putting them together they loose track of`em. It can`t be nothing like frydaddy (an electric deep fryier where the food not even touches the bottom), otherwise you couln`t do "the pressing with the spatula part".
It could be a tool I have seen only in my mother`s kitchen and I guess it`s an american (quite good) invention. I could not find an immage so I gonna try to describe it: It`s like a pot lid with a long handle on the side, instead of being made of some compact material it is a round frame with a very thick steel net that lets the steam come out but not the grease exlosions and avoids to make a big mess on your stove when you`re frying in a pan without having to put a lid on it, which would, holding the steam inside damage the crispyness.

Cheers, bros,

cb

PS. a recipe of mine is coming soon. I love to cook, eat what I cooked with my friends and see them enjoying what I created.

Oh, I almost forgot: Thanx, proctorw, I gonna try this almond version, never done it before. Edited by curiousboy

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.